Friday, February 24, 2012

SFF Saturday 2-25-12

This week's snippet for Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday is a little scene, from DREMIKS, that didn't make the "final cut" for the published work. I wrote it sometime last year after my husband constantly goaded me about how I needed "a bit about a dog." I hope you enjoy it!
-----------------------------------------

Commander O’Connell’s comment caused as much shock for its timing as for its content. She’d been sitting in the corner quietly reading reports and ignoring the banter of the junior officers. She’d been so still, in fact, that they forgot she was there.

Dr. Ruger, who hadn’t forgotten her roommate’s presence but had been immersed in her own reading, looked up and assumed a speculative expression. “This idea came to you while reviewing food allocations?”

O'Connell waived her tablet in the air. “No, this stuff is bunk. I swear they send me faulty numbers just so the captain can yell at me.”

“That’s not very logical, ma’am.” Ensign Chi immediately wished he’d kept his mouth shut.

“Obviously the colonial logistical staff are lacking in logic as profound as yours, Ensign. Or, more on point, that of a dog. Back on topic, the reason we need a dog is for good luck.”

11 comments:

  1. Interesting snippet! I wonder if they'll get a dog, and if it will bring them luck! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't argue with getting a dog. A good one is a treasure beyond price.
    All that aside, I like this snippet. You get a feel for the dynamics of the ship and crew. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Gayle: Do they get the dog? Does it bring them Good luck? - The dialogue is great! I especially liked the sentence about the colonial logistics staff lacking profound logic. It made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad this didn't make the cut. The banter between the crew is good. Besides, how can you go wrong with a good dog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great conversation! One definitely gets the sense they're at home with one another, no matter what's said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I think this should've stayed in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So...do they get a dog? Great dialogue between everyone...I'd love to read more!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course dogs bring good luck! :)

    Love your snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute. =) I never heard of dogs bringing good luck - nice snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :-) Great dialogue. Even if it did get cut out you show a lot about the characters with a few lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore dogs, mine rules the house(almost.) Nice snippet!

      Delete