Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Dreaded 2 Star Review

Readers often comment on bulletin boards and in reviews posted on popular sites like Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Goodreads that they disregard the glowing 5 star reviews of new authors obviously written by family and friends. I’ve read several comments where a reader states that he or she looks only at the 2 and 3 star reviews to get a true feel for the book. I’m not sure I entirely agree with this policy, but if that behavior is widespread, it should help a new author to have a few critical reviews. So, I suppose “Dremiks” has officially “arrived” because I’ve finally received a 2 star review.

The reviewer was not malicious and did not state anything that indicated that he had picked up “Dremiks” thinking it a genre different than science-fiction space-opera. In fact, he seems to have sought out the book specifically because he likes the genre. Therefore, I cannot just roll my eyes and ignore his comments. I may not agree with his analysis, but it is a fact of life that not all readers are going to like my book—or any book. There are people who adore “The Great Gatsby”. I’d rather gnaw off my own arms than read it again. This particular reader didn’t like my story development and felt the ending was rushed. That’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it. Obviously if I receive hundreds of such reviews then I have serious issues and need to reconsider my writing style. One such review will not, I hope, doom my first book to the dustbin of hideous literature.

Finally, a complete stranger bought my book, read it, and took the time to write a detailed review of why he disliked it. That’s a pretty big moment in an author’s life, even if it hurts just a bit.

1 comment:

  1. There is no question about it. Negative reviews suck. I admire your attitude though, and also, I think the negative reviews (as long as they provide actual constructive criticism instead of saying "I was bored, it sucked.") are the most valuable to a serious author because they point out what a segment of your market did not like about your product. It gives you the opportunity to determine what to improve on the next installment.

    It still hurts though. Seriously. Any time someone indicates that they didn't enjoy something I wrote, part of my soul crawls into a dark corner and dies of embarrassment. It takes GUTS to put yourself out there for that, and I am proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete