Friday, November 9, 2012

SFF Saturday 11-10-12

Welcome back to my submissions for Science-fiction, Fantasy, Saturday.  Please visit the main site to read more snippets from the worlds of fantasy and science fiction.

Back to prisoner 1138....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Entry 4

I've decided to start a basic cardiovascular regime.  The altered gravity of the moon is still not quite Earth-like and can, over the long-term, lead to muscle degeneration.  Miners and scientists assigned up here are required to participate in regular physical exercise in order to stave off these effects.  In a stunning example of "We don't care if he withers away", the powers that banished me here didn't bother installing exercise equipment in my cell.  Depriving me of food (such that it is) and water would have been cruel and unusual punishment, but stuffing me in a box and letting my muscles slowly turn to jello--that's just the tough life of a political prisoner!

Once a day, I run six laps around the perimeter of my cell(incidentally, I measured this for the first time just yesterday--it's a spacious 24x24 foot space), do 20 sit-ups and 10 pushups.  Who knows, after a couple of years of this, I might lose my scrawny scientist physique.  Yeah, right.

I am prisoner 1138, but my name is Abraham bin Navi

14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. I have to snicker at "prisoner 1138" every time I read it. I absolutely love it!

    I really do like the voice of this. I'm dying to know what he did to end up in the pokey like he did. You draw a bleak picture of life as a prisoner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! Each time, we get a little bit more of a glimpse into his life. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the science feel to it. And the character is certainly well-developed (no pun intended). Wanna know how he got in to be in jail. And more about the world in general. Keep it comin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely piques my interest in prisoner 1138. I love his reasoning for exercising and his edgy attitude. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The prisoner is strong-willed, not letting himself slip into the depression that must be hovering by his shoulder all the time. A good snippet - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did he do to warrant getting thrown into this low-gravity prison? Really curious about this now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His determination is palpable and his tone is arresting. As always, love his sign off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that he has kept his spirit. A sign of a strong soul. Very nice snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's going to have to do more than situps and pushups to get in shape, especially in low gravity. How about some energetic dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muscle atrophy is not something I would have thought of!

    Clever!

    :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. He'll certainly bulk up with all that exercise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's very disciplined and methodical, considering how soul-destroying it must be being imprisoned.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sign off always makes me think of Les Mis.

    ReplyDelete