Friday, September 28, 2012

SFF Saturday 9/28/2012

I've been absent from Science-fiction/Fantasy Saturday for far too long.  I wish I could claim that my absence was due to frantic typing of a nearly finished manuscript.  Alas, I've had little time for writing.

Don't forget that, even when I'm not around for these wonderful Saturday samples, there are many other great authors sharing their work.  Please be sure to read, comment, and buy their books!

This week's snippet is once again a sample from "Lilly's Story" (very poor working title). Regular readers (possessing of astounding memories) will recall that Lilly Diaz has traveled from Earth to Rhiadan Sanctuary Station via a Dremikian ship.  It was a miserable journey, and she's quite happy to have reached the station.  Well, she was....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Damn it, Dwax, I've told you not to let humans rush through these locks!  How many times have I told you?"

"But Honored--"

"Shut it!  If you weren't going to relay the safety information, what the hell was the point in having you great her?  You were supposed to be saving me time!  Instead, I have to rush down here, leaving the Kigvans waiting, and--ah, hello there ma'am."

Lilly blinked up at the human male leaning over her.  Disoriented was too mild a term to describe how she felt.  It took her another minute before she remembered passing out at the feet of Ambassador Dwax.

7 comments:

  1. A little confusing on who's who, but a good snippet nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a read or two to figure out who was speaking and to what end, but it didn't take away from how interesting the snippet is. You've got a lot of interesting things going on here and I'm curious to know who the human is and how he seems to outrank Ambassador Dwax (which I assume he does from his tone).

    ReplyDelete
  3. How embarrassing for her to faint at the ambassador's feet! And, I did find it a little confusing, too. But, I imagine that this is clarified in the part before the snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously rushing through the lok triggers something that causes humans trouble. A change in air composition, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you did that. Not confusing at all to me. Lilly was coming to after fainting at the Ambassador's feet. I'm supposing that she rushed through the airlock and pressurization procedures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love y'alls feedback. Things that sound perfectly logical in my head don't always work for the reader. Thanks! Also- JC wins the prize for determining why Lilly fainted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often feel like "disoriented" is too mild a term for what I feel on a regular basis, too!

    ReplyDelete